This file format is usually used by larger advertisers who have bigger product ranges. It’s important to note that this format will require some .xml coding knowledge and the use of a text-editing program. The feed must then be submitted in the .xml file format. This could be done manually in Merchant Center, but you’re more likely to use the XML format so that your product data feed can be automatically generated from an online database when requested.
If you have hundreds of products that come and go very quickly then it’s best to develop a dynamic XML feed.
- Your site may already generate an XML file of your content
- Including multiple values for an attribute is easier
- Good for large product quantities when connected to your website database
- You can automate the updating process using scheduled fetches in Merchant Center
- Knowledge of XML or another language is required
- Not suitable when you have many products if not connected to your website database
- You need to ensure you understand Google’s Policy regarding XML feeds
- It is difficult to see many products within the file at once